Scripture Reference: 1 John 5:13-21
Sermon in a Sentence
Since we know that our assurance, confidence, promise, and certainty come from the only true God through faith in Jesus, His Son, then we must guard our hearts against the temptation to worship worthless and counterfeit misrepresentations of Him.
The tests of love, obedience and faith that give evidence of the new birth are not isolated from each other.
- Four things of which the believer can be sure about:
- Assurance of eternal life rests in faith in Jesus Christ, God’s Son.
- Confidence in prayer rests in God answering according to His will.
- Promise of God’s protection and keeping from the wicked one rests in Christ’s power.
- Certainty of revelation and redemption rests in knowing the true God through His Son, Jesus Christ.
- One command the believer must obey: Guard against the incompatible and deadly worship of anything or anyone other than the one true God.